Skip to content

Zoning & Building Permits

Building Permit vs. Zoning Permit

What type of Permit is needed?

Building Permit

Building Permit will apply for a job that falls under the State Building Code (UCC) and which require inspections, such as:

  • Sheds, detached garages and carports if over 1,000 sq.ft. in size
  • Attached garages
  • Additions
  • Renovations requiring structural, electrical, plumbing
  • Demolition
  • Fences over 6’ high and retaining walls over 4’ high
  • Replace roof framing
  • Roof over patio or porch
  • Enclosing an existing porch
  • Deck over 30” high
  • Swimming pools over 24″ deep – also requires fencing
  • Installation of new doors or windows, or replacement doors or windows of a different size or location
  • Most electrical work – including generators
  • Plumbing – new or moving existing
  • Replacement of furnace and HVAC systems
  • All commercial and Industrial remodeling and renovations
  • Business signs/ Billboards
  • Conversions and Change of Use and Occupancy

Zoning Permit

A   Zoning Permit  is required for all other jobs which typically do not require inspections such as:

  • Sheds, detached garages and unattached carports less than 1,000 sq.ft. in size
  • Fences – up to 6’ high
  • Retaining walls – up to 4’ high
  • Sidewalks and curbing
  • Walkways
  • Driveways
  • Patio or porch with no roof or walls
  • Deck – not more than 30” high
  • Pools under 24″ deep
  • Temporary business promotion signs
  • Residential Outdoor Firepit area – also needs review and approval by the Fire Department (York Area United Fire & Rescue)

Additional Information about Permits

Fees associated with Zoning Hearing applications are as follows:

  • Non-Residential (Commercial & Industrial): $750
  • Residential: $500

No Permits Are Required For:

  • Alterations/repairs to residential buildings which do not make structural, electrical, or plumbing changes or changes to means of egress (i.e. – replace windows and doors, same size and same location)
  • Installation of aluminum or vinyl siding on a residence
  • Replacement of shingles or rubber roof
  • Wallpaper, carpet, tile, paint, interior cabinetry – as long as the fixtures are not relocated
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a residence


  • Placement of buildings, fences, sheds, pools, etc. and the planting of vegetation other than grass are not permitted in right-of-ways and easements.
  • Building Permits and Zoning Permits require the submission of drawing depicting property boundaries, project limits and placement, dimensions of property and improved surfaces such as patios, decks, buildings and structures, driveways, pools, etc.
  • Any additional impervious surfaces (patios, sidewalks, driveways, pads, sheds, garages, pools, buildings, etc). will require the completion of a Stormwater Management Permit Application in addition to the Building/Zoning Permit Application.  Please include a site diagram showing the square footage of all existing impervious surfaces and proposed new impervious surfaces.

Code Administrators provides building permit and building code inspection services to Spring Garden Township.  To schedule an inspection please contact Code Administrators at 717-859-3350.


Payment of fees is NOT required up-front.  All fees are collected after plan reviews are completed and prior to issuance of the permit.

  • Zoning Permit fee is $35.00
  • Building Permit fees are based at $35 minimum and $10 per $1,000 of estimated construction cost after initial $3,000 of construction cost PLUS plan review, inspection, administration and state permit fees as calculated by Code Administrators, our third-party agency who will be reviewing and approving the plans.

Other Permits and Fees that may be needed:

  • Stormwater Management plan review $300.00 for small projects; $700.00 for large projects
  • Stormwater Fee $.50 per sq.ft. for projects less than 500 sq.ft. in size
  • Dumpster and POD units $100.00
  • Jiffy John (portable toilet facilities)$10.00
  • Use and Occupancy Certificate $50.00