Building Permits

Building Permit vs. Zoning Permit – What type of Permit is needed?

Building Permit Application to CCIS

A Building Permit will apply for a job that falls under the State Building Code (UCC) and which requires inspections:

Examples of a Building Permit

  • Sheds, detached garages and carports if over 1,000 sq.ft. in size
  • Attached garages
  • Additions
  • Fences over 6’ high and retaining walls over 4’ high
  • Replace roof framing
  • Roof over patio or porch
  • Enclosing an existing porch
  • Deck over 30” high
  • Inground swimming pools – also requires fencing
  • Installation of new doors or windows, or replacement doors or windows of a different size or location
  • Most electrical work – including generators
  • Replacement of furnace and HVAC systems
  • All commercial and Industrial remodeling and renovations
  • Business signs/ Billboards
  • Conversions and Change of Use and Occupancy

A   Zoning Permit  is required for all other jobs which typically do not require inspections such as:

  • Sheds, detached garages and unattached carports less than 1,000 sq.ft. in size
  • Fences – up to 6’ high
  • Retaining walls – up to 4’ high
  • Sidewalks and curbing
  • Walkways
  • Driveways
  • Patio or porch with no roof or walls
  • Deck – not more than 30” high
  • Replace roof/ shingles (no framing involved)
  • Temporary business promotion signs
  • Residential Outdoor Firepit area – also needs review and approval by the Fire Department (York Area United Fire & Rescue)

For both Building Permit and Zoning Permits, all criteria of the Spring Garden Township Zoning Ordinance and Spring Garden Township Stormwater Management Ordinance must be met.

Please call the Township Office at (717) 848-2858 with any questions.


  • Alterations/ repairs to residential buildings which do not make structural changes or changes to means of egress (i.e. – replace windows and doors, same size and same location)
  • Installation of aluminum or vinyl siding on a residence
  • Wallpaper, carpet, tile, paint, interior cabinetry – as long as the fixtures are not relocated
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a residence
  • Swimming pools less than 24” high


A Building Permit or Zoning Permit Application (whichever is applicable) must be completed and submitted to the Township Administration Office, 558 S. Ogontz Street, York, PA with the following information:

  • Property address
  • Property owner’s name and contact information
  • Contractor’s information and workers compensation insurance information
  • A complete description of the work
  • A site plan is also required showing lot size and dimensions, dimensions of structures and paving, and setbacks.  Include elevation sketches if applicable.



Payment of fees is NOT required up-front.  All fees are collected after plan reviews are completed and prior to issuance of the permit.

  • Zoning Permit fee is $25.00
  • Building Permit fees are based at $7.00 per $1,000 (or fraction thereof) for the cost of the construction PLUS plan review, inspection, administration and state permit fees as calculated by CCIS (Commonwealth Code Inspection Service), our third-party agency who will be reviewing and approving the plans.


  • Stormwater Management plan review $300.00 for small projects; $700.00 for large projects
  • Stormwater Fee $.50 per sq.ft. for projects less than 500 sq.ft. in size
  • Dumpster and POD units $100.00
  • Jiffy John (portable toilet facilities) $10.00
  • Use and Occupancy Certificate $50.00


Always call the Administration Office before starting a project to check if a building permit is required. Painting, flooring, siding, and landscaping are exempt from building permits. Permits are required for new structures and additions, garages, sheds, decks, patios, sidewalks, roofing and swimming pools,Certain home improvements require submission of plans to be approved by Commonwealth Code Inspection Service, Inc. (CCIS) and will require inspections during phases of the project, as well as a final inspection.   Information can be found at

Permits needing review from Commonwealth Code Inspection Service, Inc. still need to be submitted to the Township and will then be forwarded on for review and approval.   When the plans are approved, they will be returned to the Township for a Building Permit to be issued.  You will be notified when the permit is ready to be picked up and the fees that need to be paid.

All commercial/industrial plans will be submitted to CCIS for approval and inspections.  A permit that needs CCIS review and approval may take several weeks to complete the process. Permits being approved at the Township Office will be prepared in a few days.   Please allow sufficient time for permit approval before scheduling your contractor to start the project.

Per Pennsylvania law, contractors are required to provide a proof of workers compensation insurance certificate, or sign a waiver.